Simple mashed potatoes, roasts, baked items or fries can be really boring if they are not served with either drippings or gravies. Therefore, it is extensively important to know how to make gravy. Numerous types of gravies are out there, you can follow a simple recipe to how to make gravy and add extra flavor to your meal.
Mostly, how to make gravy recipes are given in one way, but it is considerable to note that you can make gravies using two different ingredients i.e. one by using corn starch and the other by using plain flour. Both recipes are nearly the same but with a tinge of flavor difference. If you want to give restaurant flavor to your meal today, follow the easy recipe of how to make gravy.
- 1/4 cup drippings
- 1/2 cup plain flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 1/2 cup butter
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Cream (optional)
How to make gravy
- Use the same pan you used for cooking the roast or fries. Add drippings to this pan. It will enhance the flavor of the gravy. Add butter in the saucepan and let it dissolve with drippings.
- Add flour. Keep in mind, quantity of butter and flour must be the same.
- Whisk the flour nicely until it is blended.
- Blend the mixture till the time it smells like pie to ensure the flour is cooked properly.
- Start pouring down the chicken stock and keep whisking. At first place the mixture will absorb the stock and then after continual whisking it will become like gravy. Keep whisking till it is mixed uniformly.
- Add flavors
- Add milk to make the gravy rich.
You can simply enhance the richness of the gravy by adding cream to it. Canned broth can be used if you do not have drippings. Chicken cubes are easy to make chicken stock. How to make gravy becomes quite easy if you follow each step carefully. Flavor enhancers for gravy are also available in the market which can be used to add colors and spices to the gravy. You can store the gravy by freezing it. This frozen gravy can be used for at least two months. So start making gravy and add flavors to your life!